Yesterday I walked out the cabin door to see fellow crew members rushing upstairs. Dolphins. They weren't bow riding, weren't actually even very close, but I did see two or three of them and more importantly the ushering out to the deck let me see that all around us was the big beautiful blue sea, that it was calm, and that it wasn't cold out. All of these were a welcome relief after two weeks of dusty grimy shipyard.
I got to work outside nearly all day. I sanded chairs getting them ready to be varnished. It was good to work with my hands and see progress as the day went on. I got to see the daylight change. Oh and we even saw a whale spout!
At midday Ryder (one of the deckhands) stopped me from sanding to point out that in every direction you could see nothing but sea and sky. No other boats. No mountains. Nothing but blue on blue. That night as dusk fell the stars came out crystal clear in the dark night sky. Beautiful. I leaned backward off the side of the ship so that the sky became the bowl beneath me and the water a canopy above my head. There was the smallest sliver of dusk light right at the horizon to show the difference between the two.
Just for a clear picture of what is going on on the boat right now- we've finished shipyard and are positioning south to Baja California (Mexico). It is a seven day positioning trip. For such a trip we don't have any guests on board and the ship is secured. ie; drawers and cupboards are taped up, windows are bolted which means on the dining room/cabin floors we have an eternal dusk. On the last two positioning trips I was on it was extremely rocky and we are a little boat and most of us were sea sick and not a whole lot got done. This trip is calm and even the most sensitive to motion are bustling about working long hours to get ship shape for the upcoming guest trips.
We are in day ... actually I lose track of time on this boat and especially during positioning so I don't know what day we're on but we get to La Paz on December 9.
Thanks for reading!
No comments:
Post a Comment