Thursday, November 25, 2010

Happy Thanksgiving!


When I was a little girl my Mom used to take a brown paper bag and cut it into the shape of a featherless Turkey at Thanksgiving. Then she would cut feathers out of appropriately colored construction paper and we would write down on each feather something that we were thankful for. The turkey and the feathers all went up with scotch tape on our big glass front door. (I think one of the reasons I want to be a Mom is because ours did such a good job of making childhood fun.)

There was going to be more to this blog when I began composing it in my head during shipyard today but this seems to be all I can remember. Tomorrow is Thanksgiving and sadly I won't be home. I will however be donning my hardhat, goggles, and coveralls to go work in shipyard. I've never done that on Thanksgiving before. :) We'll get off early which is good and we'll have Thanksgiving yumminess in our little makeshift galley tarp which will also be a new experience.

Holidays almost always make me excited and happy- even stupid ones. I'm not including Thanksgiving as a 'stupid one' by the way. But there are some stupid ones and I even get happy about those. It's kind of weird but I'll take it.

If I had a brown paper bag turkey with construction paper feathers how colorful and full could we make his plumage together? :) If you care to leave a note, tell what you're thankful for. Thanks for reading.
~Faith
plume 1 (red)- the difficulty of choosing just one plume.
plume 2 (orange) - that spellcheck asked me to change 'yumminess' to 'chumminess'. hahaha!

4 comments:

  1. I can't believe they had you working in the shipyard. What did you have to do? You certainly seem to be getting a wide variety of experiences on this adventure. I hope they treated you to an extra yummy Thanksgiving dinner after the work was done.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes they did indeed Grandma! We had a very nice Thanksgiving dinner and I relaxed for the rest of the day.
    I was thinking about you today and the book you showed us of your personal experiences of God working in your life in different ways. I liked that idea a lot.
    Love you~

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my best Thanksgivings was working 12 hours! But it was in Disney World, not scraping rust...

    This year I am thankful for Beaucoup Berries, and a pretty piece of paper.

    I'm rationing the chocolate for as long as I can... You're such a darling.

    ReplyDelete
  4. :) I'm glad it came. Do they not have good chocolate in Romania darling?
    Love you and hope you're well. Was thinking about you today- how long do you have left in PeaceCorps?

    ReplyDelete