Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 26 - January 23

Day off. Hallelujah, I need it. I went to bed fairly early last night so as to sleep this bug off. I had some weird dreams, which has been a staple lately but was also partly due to the five minutes of Underworld that I promised Daisey and Ian I would sit through. It was actually more like three and a half but I had their blessing for sitting through the intro. I woke up earlier than I would have liked because of drills. We have weekly drills for abandon ship and fire. It’s a tad distressing when this winds up on your day off, but that’s just boat life. I’d been a bit bitter about it but really if I hadn’t had to wake up for drills I also wouldn’t have woken up to see…

Blue WhaleS! Note the plural here. On this beautiful, sunshiney, still water morning we saw not one, not two but THREE blue whales at the same time! Magnificent. Now you can’t see them in the sense of a children’s book layout where the whole animal is visible before you, but rather bits of their large bodies as they come up out of the water. Just knowing that you’re seeing the most enormous creature that lives is amazing. Seeing three at once, hearing them blow, watching their gigantic footprints as they go back under the water…it’s wonderful. A couple of weeks ago we were asking about why it’s the largest creature that ever lived, wondering about dinosaurs that we had thought must certainly have been larger. Over the intercom this week I heard one of our naturalists, Carlos, explain that it is the largest animal in mass- as some of the bigness of dino’s was due to long necks or other such thin lengthy appendages

Three at once. Just amazing.

1 comment: