Sunday, January 23, 2011

Day 27 - January 22

Turn day. Turn day’s are when one group of guests leaves in the morning and we get the whole boat ‘turned’ (cleaned, scrubbed, ready) for the next round of guests who will get on a few short hours later in the afternoon. Turn days are long days and I used to abhor them with tears and tiredness. I’m still not particularly fond of them but I’ve accepted that my work takes me as long as it does and now I get a kick out of the adrenaline rush.

This was a fifteen hour turn day- which happens often for me but today it was all of us stews. I woke up feeling groggy from this cold, my ears and throat hurting. I asked Daisey if when she was sick it was her ears and throat. She said it wasn’t and so I suddenly became worried. She suggested I talk to the Dr. He told me it was a cold and I was relieved to hear it.

So during this crazy, working, hectic day with a nightmarish moment of opening the stack (where we keep the clean linens) which I thought was to be my job to clean up, found it packed quite literally to the brim. My senior stew, Kathy Miller, wanted to organize it today though. Thank heavens for that. Instead I got to be bossy, which I’m really good at, and play senior stew at dinner. It was kind of fun.

But the highlight moment of this, day 27 in a thirty day countdown, was the huge coconut that my dear roommate Daisey brought to me from La Paz. I stuck a straw in it in between dressed and ready and inro’s. I was so thirsty from cabin cleaning and the cool coconut water was soothing on my sore throat. Mmmmmm. Thank you Daisey.

Oh! And we got good coffee today too which is also a happy thing. Seattle’s Best baby! And Henry’s blend! Which made me think of my Mama. J Who I will get to see soon. Yay!

No comments:

Post a Comment