Thursday, August 9, 2012

Things that fall on your head in the night

Late last night I opened the fridge to put away some left out item and was shocked to feel something tumble down, graze my head, and hit the floor. I thought it was a bottle or some such refrigerator item until I looked down and saw for a brief second sprawled on four paws our new kitten, Lily. I only just caught the glimpse of her and laughed at a cat having just fallen on my head and the look of both of us so surprised before she sprinted away.

Lily is part Siamese and a new edition to the Burrow as of this week. I'm not really big on cats, or pets at all really, but she is truly a cutie. As I type she's perched once again on top of the refrigerator watching Lukas on the computer and peering down at what ever interesting- or not- is going on down below. Several times today cereal boxes have hit the floor as she makes herself comfortable on her new perch and knocks them over. She also fell on Mom's head this morning.

She is a wild thing and we found out her first night here that if it moves, that's where she is. Samuel and I funneled this discovery into our own entertainment by inventing a new game we call "volley cat". It sounds much worse then it is. Sam sat on his bed and I sat on mine- they're parallel to each other in his room. Lily would start on one bed and the person on the opposite bed would rustle either sleeping bag or sheet- whatever fabric makes the most noise- and she would pounce across the room to that bed. Then the other person would begin the same thing immediately as she hit the opposite bed and she'd pounce back again. We wore out before she did.

The origin of the term cat nap has become apparent too. During one round of volley cat we thought we'd tuckered her out because she finally stretched herself out on my bed and was still. For approximately two minutes when she came back with renewed energy.

She was such a doll we really wanted her to stay in the room for the night but I had concerns about that prospect.
"Sam I'm afraid we're going to squish her."
It was at this point past two in the morning. Volley cat had really kept us occupied.
 He laughed at me. "Then put her out." He didn't seem as worried about squishing as I did. She's just so tiny!
 "You're not afraid you're going to squish her?"
 He laughs again. "If you're worried about it just per her out Faith."
 "Okay. I want her to stay, I just don't want to squish her."
So we put her out.
"She's putting her paws under the door." said Sam
"meow" said Lily.
 "meow! meow! meo..."
"We won't squish her!" I yelled passionately & opened the door.
 That lasted for about two hours of restless sleeping on everyone's part. Lily slept but kept moving from bed to bed. Sam couldn't sleep because she'd lay right on his chest and he suddenly understood the squish fear factor. I eventually couldn't breath from the newness of cat fur. So out she went with loud protest from her. I suppose she eventually found another place to happily sleep though because the meows did stop.

 She's now reclining on her back as if sunbathing on top of the fridge. Absolutely an adorable feline.

(*This is rather an odd picture but I have some battlewounds trying to get a picture of the car with a not particularly mobile webcam.)

No comments:

Post a Comment