
Lois Lane Shoes
On Tuesday I went to town with Mom and we stopped at Goodwill. I'd been wanting to go there to check out luggage and shoes. While perusing the shoe section I found a nice pair of brown shoes with a bit of a heel that would work well for my new job, which is exactly what I was going for. (New job bit coming later.) So I try them on and am pleased to discover that they fit.
"Mom, what do you think of these?" I ask abandoning my flip flops in the middle of the store.
She looks at the shoes. She tilts her head and her mouth opens. Then it closes. She looks at me.
"No?" I ask, a little surprised.
"Not so much." she says.
"Oh. Okay." And after considering whether or not to keep them I put them back figuring maybe I missed something and I'll have better luck next time.
On the way home we were laughing about the interaction. Usually when she isn't sure what to say and is weighing between polite and true ( I told her to usually go with true for me ) she looks at you, says nothing, and walks away. That was why I was caught off guard and wound up putting them back.
"What didn't you like about them?" I ask her.
"I don't know. I was trying to think of a movie character to compare you to."
"Well if you think of it let me know."
"They were like, Lois Lane shoes."
"Lois Lane. Well she was a professional.", I say not sure why this was a bad thing.
"Yeah, they looked officey..."
There is a silence as it hits us that her problem with the shoes was exactly why I wanted them.
"...which I guess is what you were going for."
Yes. Yes it was.
Communication is not a strong point in my family but laughter is and we have a good session of it over this. We still are. Plus it has an even happier ending which is coming soon...
Part two; "The Reason for Lois Lane Shoes" or "My New Job!"
:)
ReplyDeleteThat's great.
I miss Goodwill with your mom - she has an eccentric way of shopping! ha ha
Did you go back and get them?
ReplyDeleteSquare. You forgot to mention they were square. Not just in an ungroovy sense...but in actual shape. heehee Go Lois!
ReplyDelete