Monday, March 16, 2015

Sesame Street Love :and coffee too: (Day 2 ~ Year 2; 30 to 30)

"I feel like I would run out of things. Like, what will you do for year 2?" my friend Emily makes a valid point in the car on the way from the library when I tell her about my 30 to 30 project idea. Most of the years were actually fairly easy to find a "Something" to put in. The 20's were pretty easy although things start to seep together so the 'year' marks sometimes are more the tail end of when that time actually occurred, or maybe only just part of a longer span. The itty bitty years are sometimes harder...."I had a Sesame Street birthday party when I was two." I quip. And so I did. And given that my love of Sesame Street has continued to this day, I'd say it's a valid focus.
 In light of this today I'm listening to some of my favorite Sesame Street tunes (in fact, since knowing that this was today's subject I may or may not have woke up with Madeline Kahn and Grover in my head singing the echo song.) and posting a few favorite clips on facebook. Two things are funny to me about that last part, the first being that people who aren't aware of this project are going to wonder why the sudden spurt of SS crazy, the second being they may not wonder that so much as "Why is she being so redundant? And Crazy...." (Okay, maybe not so different.) because I have actually posted these before. Like, more than once.
 But here, in this space, let's talk about Sesame Street and how great it is and why I have posted these clips before. Because they're freaking great! Seriously, the tunes are fun, the cameos are stellar, the show stays fresh and I'm pretty sure I learned a TON from this show as a wee lass. Plus it kept my parents entertained, rushing home as if to a Soap Opera to check in on Luis and Maria's wedding plans. And this is the genius of Sesame Street, that it can entertain and instruct itty bits while being compelling and entertaining for Grown Ups. Which I think really any GOOD children's story or show ought do, at least if the Grown Up isn't Too Grown Up and interested only in sums as a book I recently began with the boy would say...
 Something I learned about Sesame Street as a Grown Up myself makes me respect it all the more. I'm not kidding when I say I have a bit of an SS love even now, and one Christmas my Mom got me a documentary on the show in it's international scope. Sesame Street, when it moves to another country, doesn't simply transplant the American material to that country's network. They gather a team of people from the area and from the organization to discuss what that particular area's issues are, what the culture is, what the social and educational issues and goals are. And then they create a new 'street' or hub from there, with new puppets, new segments, new scripts and they address what they kids of that particular area need. It's awesome.
 So cheers to the Street. :) And I posted it first so it now shows up last but this is my Now favorite even though I grew attached to it as an adult: https://youtu.be/hsCOTsE4atQ
Also, the Cleveland International Film Festival begins this week and there's a documentary about Carol Spinney aka Big Bird. :)
i-am-big-bird-the-caroll-spinney-story
What are your favorite Sesame Street bits? Or was another show or story or some such influential in your early years?
bunny trail:
I also remember at what I think was 2 stepping in my Dad's Styrofoam cup of very hot coffee at a church retreat. Today to show my quite changed relationship to that beautiful beverage  (well a- I went to work. I do make coffee for a living now.) I got a cuppa at Rising Star  while very unexpectedly reading through a script stolen from a theatre friend wanting me to come audition. We remember the weirdest things sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment