Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Day 11- February 9

The food bit is really funny right now. Daisey and I are doing fine- getting a little bored but we are eating enough and we’re full. Not to mention full of energy. I feel so hyper, I can’t really settle down or focus. It’s kind of funny. And I slept well last night which was lovely.

The boys, the boys are cracking us up. Edd, who is not a loud complainer, keeps complaining and today stated that he wasn’t going to stop griping about it the whole time, that he would make it but he wouldn’t stop griping. I said that was fine. They get a little happier when you make them smoothies. Jason just looks sad and his fiance who makes all the desserts on the boat thinks the whole thing is hilarious and he keeps threatening her with hatred just for doing her job.

~
Today was my day off and I spent some time off the boat at Sand Dollar Beach. The beach’s name is, I’m pleased to say, not a misnomer. I saw so many sand dollars just all over! I found one patch, a ways from the ocean, by the entrance to the dunes, that had over 50! We have a no collection policy or I would have brought you all some Christmas ornaments. J

On one side of Sand Dollar Beach is Magdalena Bay and on the other is the Pacific Ocean. In between are fabulous sand dunes that are fun to scale. I found one that had a really steep side that I slid down on my bottom. The sand slid down like water. It was soft, like a big giant dog’s fur, and fine so that when I picked up handfuls of it, I could swish it out easily and it would just fly away on the wind. I did this several times. I also threw it in clumps, as weighty as I could make them where they would still disperse on the breeze without touching the ground. At the bottom of the dune it was quiet and I looked up to see a bright blue sky. The sun was warm, the sky was blue, it was quiet and so I did what any normal person would do and I lay upside down on the dune, so that my head was on the downward slope and I could see the blue sky. This felt quite yummy on my back actually.

After playing at the bottom of this dune, as though I were five, and loving it, I kept walking til I got to the sand dollar patch and after that the ocean. There I saw a ghost crab, 5 pelicans, and a lot of water. It sounded lovely and felt cold on my feet. I did cartwheels and splashed and just walked around. I also sat to watch the waves.

It was a good time but being by myself I thought how fun it would have been if my brothers had been with me on the dunes.

Back at the boat Daisey had saved me a salad and I sat in the crew lounge. Later Tom came in to work on my necklace (yay! Thanks Tom. It has a pretty green twine and a shell we found the whale shark day.) and I read him half of Devan’s “Lucid City” story that I liked so much.

It was good day and yet it’s cluttered with my restless thoughts. 11 days. I hope I get to kiss a whale before I go. I’ll miss these people ( I want to write a post similar to my friend Patricia’s to introduce you to them. I’d already been wanting to and then I saw her do it so now I’m reminded.). I get to do some pretty cool stuff. And yet. I’m ready to go.

No comments:

Post a Comment