Day 19 - Feb 1
It was a late galley rnorning and I didn’t go on the early whale watching boat because last time it was cold and foggy and we didn’t get very close. It was very cool but I thought sleeping in sounded good since I’d been on two boats the day previous. Mistake.
Daisey and Ian went and the morning was perfectly clear and beautiful and they touched and kissed whales. So jealous. The boats also came across the nursery/play date we had seen the day before AND we even had a Mama and calf come very close to the SeaBird in the morning. I had my arms full of produce and was walking down toward the bow to see them waving their flukes and rolling in the water. It’s always cool.
Also missed bow riding dolphins in the bioluminescence. It was the day of missing things I suppose.
However I was taking a nap - galley duty will do that to you- and heard squeaking which meant dolphins and I did get to go see them. This also doesn’t stop being cool and the fact that I can know they’re there because I can hear them in my bed makes me smile.
Day 18 - Feb 2
At lunchtime Captain Kay had a crew meeting to tell us that the weather was going to be, “Well there’s no pretty way to say it, it’s going to be shitty and then it’s going to get worse.” I love Captain Kay.
And he was right.
It was the worst that I have experienced it on this boat, and on positioning trips we’ve had it pretty bad. Of course, it may have felt worse than those times for the fact that on positioning we don’t have guests and I can go lay down. This time I was in the galley, working. Oh. My. Goodness. I could not wait for it to be over and I am not sure how we got through it. My fellow stews laughed when I came through the double doors of the galley, pale and not ready to talk to anyone. They were proud of me for making it and I wasn’t so far gone that I couldn’t appreciate their laughter at my state.
Hardly anyone came to dinner, guests were freaking out in the companionways because that is of course very helpful, some slept in the dining room, those of us in the focsle were reassigned to rooms not on the bow of the boat. Sleep wasn’t really sleep and getting up this morning we found the boat in an interesting state to say the least. Actually things weren’t nearly as bad as they could have been because our trusty deck force did an excellent job of buttoning things done and securing near everything. When I came up at 5:30 am to start galley work there were guests in the dining room asleep, tops of settees were off and bags of coffee lay on the floor, tables had toppled over. There were a few things on the galley floor but not much. Then I opened up the back reefer and out came the tuna fish, a cheesecake and some garlic. The cheesecake was, thank goodness, salvageable but the tuna got into the cracks of the galley mat so my first line of work had nothing to do with what I should have been getting done. What a crazy morning! I was in good spirits though, and so were most. The boat was no longer moving and Captain said we were staying put for 24 hours. Hallelujah!
Day 17 - Feb 3
Was reminded inadvertently by my bro today to take time and be still with God. So I got off of face book, off of Baptop and took a minute out on the fantail. It’s been cold, not chilly but cold, most of today but there was a nook of sunshine that felt yummy on my face and I was able to sit and be quiet. The water here is beautiful turquoise blue, it’s one of the first beaches that we came to in Baja. As I sat and reminded myself that I didn’t have to DO anything, didn’t have to speak anything, that it was good to be still and know He is God the rest of that psalm came to my mind and was interesting in light of last night. It’s one of my favourite psalms.
God is our refuge and strength
An ever present help in times of trouble
Therefore we will not fear though the earth give way
Though the mountains crumble into the heart of the sea
Though its waters roar and foam and the mountains quake with their surging.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God
The holy place where the most high dwells. God is with her, she will not fall
God will help her at break of day.
Faithy, you embody the word hug.
ReplyDeleteAnd you make me want to be on a boat, even though I patently hate them. Even your complaints sound somehow romantic.
Your adventures sound scary and terrible, wonderful and memorable and I can hardly wait to see you and hear about them face to face!
ReplyDelete