In my life I generally have a problem with eating too much, too often, the wrong things for the wrong reasons. Sometimes the reason is because I love the food which in itself isn’t a wrong reason but when you eat past the point of enjoyment or when you aren’t hungry or when you’ve already had enough it is the wrong reason. There is definitely such a thing as too much of a good thing. While it doesn’t always last I have gone through lengthy periods where I can give up say sugar and white flour. If I set my mind and will to this, if I plan for it I can accomplish it for quite a long time.
The boat is different.
I have a hard enough time off the boat but on it? Crew food is usually what is left over (a lot) from the vacation style meals we serve guests. So there is a lot of good food around a lot of the time. Nearly everyday you’ll find fresh baked cookies or some kind of decadent dinner time dessert not to mention croissaints, scones and fresh baked muffins in the morning and La Fuertes ice cream in the freezer. It is ridiculous. And since you’re working so much the temptation to use yummy treats as your stress relief is huge. We eat buffet style and together (the together is good!) so portion control is also rather difficult as is planning your own meals.
On my own I can, as I said, give up sugar and flour for extended periods of time. On the boat I often go to bed thinking “really. You have to do better tomorrow. You CAN do better tomorrow. This week! This month! The rest of your contract! You’re surrounded by good HEALTHY food too and you’ve done this before. C’mon girl! You can do this.”
And then lunch time rolls around and I’m grumpy from making 16 beds, cleaning 8 heads, and serving two meals before 2:00 so when the fresh and well made chocolate chip cookies, or peanut butter cookies, or chocolate Chambord tart, or ice cream sundae bar with hot caramel and toasted coconut, or crème brulee come out my resolve is gone and so are four cookies.
~
I am not the only person with this problem. Most stewards gain weight during their contract. Most of us talk about food a lot, about everything I’ve said here. Most of us try giving things up and fail. Sometimes we don’t.(By this I mean both ’fail’ and ’give up.) Daisey and Edd have been going without desserts for about 10 days now. I was with them for about two and then I got super grumpy at dinner and said “screw it!” as I forcefully attacked a chocolate Chambord with a spoon. I wasn’t grumpy anymore but I’m pretty sure I ate two more things after that and went to bed with a tummy ache. Before that I went 10 days without sugar, my longest stint on the boat, and that was good. Anyway, tonight while polishing silverware they were talking about it, and we were talking about it, and Jason- the bartender- came and was talking about it. The three of them decided to go raw foods for the next four days and after a moment of uncertainty I decided to join too. So - four days. I’m excited. It’s much better to do it with people. Tomorrow should be interesting. J
I'm not on a boat and haven't been able to go one day without eating sugar. I admire you for trying!
ReplyDeleteIt is true - so much easier to stick to these sorts of things when doing it with other people.
Danielle and I are going to start a work-out program next week and I'm excited for that! It's twice a week for weeks (for now).